Through the Friends of the Gardens Trust Fund, over $2.7 million has been contributed towards projects within the Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne and Herbarium.
You can help us to continue to support development, restoration and research in the Gardens by donating to the Friends’ Trust Fund.
During 2021/2022 the Friends’ Trust Fund has financially supported:
- The creation of the Sensory Garden ($200,000)
- A new Visitor Pod for the RBGV Garden Ambassadors
- Part funding of a Changing Places facility at the RBGV Visitor Centre
- Scholarships for RBGV Staff to assist them to extend their knowledge ($15,000)
- The Helen McLellan Research Grant ($20,000)
Some of the projects and initiatives supported over the last 10 years include:
$61,000 to purchase two new Garden Explorers to help many visitors explore the Gardens
$75,000 towards the restoration of the Fern Gully Rest house
- $50,000 for re-design of the Visitor Centre
- $300,000 to build the new boardwalk in the Fern Gully enabling access by all
- $210,000 over 3 years, to the massive Working Wetlands Project at the Melbourne Gardens
- $70,000 towards the Guilfoyle’s Volcano Redevelopment Project
- over $450,000 to Water Works, Water Wise since 2002
- $20,000 per annum – The Friends’ Helen McLellan Research Grant
- $10,000 per annum – The Friends’ 25th Anniversary Annual Staff Scholarships (increased to $15,000 in 2019/2020).
- Botanic Art for the State Botanical Collection; $5,000 is donated every 2 years by the Friends to the Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne to purchase Botanic Art at The Art of Botanical Illustration Exhibitions. Together with donations from the Director’s Circle and the Library Fund a number of important works are purchased for the State Botanical Collection.
Botanic Art for the State Botanical Collection
$5,000 is donated every 2 years by the Friends to the Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne to purchase Botanic Art at The Art of Botanical Illustration Exhibitions. Together with donations from the Director’s Circle and the Library Fund a number of important works are purchased for the State Botanical Collection.
If the Friends of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Melbourne have been a part of your life, then you can be a part of their future. By leaving a gift in your Will to the Friends’ Trust Fund you help us to continue our support of projects in the Gardens, including staff development and research.
For more information please contact the Friends’ office on (03) 9650 6398 and ask to speak to someone about bequests.