The Botanical Illustrators
Join the Illustrators. This group is just part of an exciting range of activities and events the Friends run for their members. The Friends support the Botanic Gardens providing financial and volunteer support for projects and events. Love the Gardens? Join the Friends!
The Botanical Illustrators are artist members of the Friends of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Melbourne, who meet regularly to paint, take classes and workshops, and put on exhibitions of their work. Volunteers to assist with the organisation of Botanical Illustration with the Friends and with exhibitions are most welcome.
Following the success of the Eucalypts of the Royal Botanic Gardens and Nature's Small Wonders Exhibition
held in October 2011, the Friends of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Melbourne Botanical Illustrators
Group held a similar exhibition from 5-20 October 2013 - From the Forest to the Foreshore - Natural History: Ferns, Fungi and Their Allies. In October 2015 an exhibition called reFraming Nature was held. reFraming Nature was again held in October 2017
The Whirlybirds are a group of Botanical Artists who will meet in Domain House (due to renovations in the Great Melbourne Telescope Building including the Whirling Room Studio) on Tuesdays until further notice.
- They share ideas and support without a tutor.
- We are now enrolling for ten-week sessions each term and there are four terms per year.
- There is both a morning and an afternoon group.
- The first term for 2018 for Whirlybirds commences on Tuesday 30 January 2018
- The cost is $88 for the full term and $33 for 3 casual meetings per term.
- We have vacancies in the afternoon group from 1pm to 4pm and you are most welcome to join us.
- If you are interested please call Sandra Sanger on 9598 9532.
- Members of this friendly group range from beginners to professionals, and there is no instructor. Rather, members encourage each other in their artistic endeavours, discuss works-in-progress, offer advice, and occasionally, work on a group project.
Botanic Art Essays >>
A series of short essays in which text is accompanied by a few examples
of superb art works produced by our talented Botanical Illustrators. Even though many artists will paint the same (or a related) species, and
take great care to record it precisely and accurately, individual
interpretations can be vastly dissimilar.