The Friends of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Melbourne are seeking an Independent Contractor in a Botanic Art Tutor position.
The successful applicant/s will be required to teach online via Zoom, face-to-face at the Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne or a combination of these delivery methods (as separate classes).
A Position Description is below for applicants to review. If you are interested in tutoring with the Friends of the Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne, please address the requirements within the Position Description and submit your application electronically by 8 January, 5pm. Your application should also include three pieces of artwork.
Please note, if you are applying to deliver classes online, you do not need to be based in Melbourne. We will welcome qualified applicants from regional areas, interstate and overseas.
Please forward all applications to firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to receiving applications.
Role Title: Independent Contractor – Botanic Art Tutor
Date: 10 December 2020
Purpose and Overview of the Role
To lead and conduct art classes, either online and/or face to face, in a manner designed to encourage every student’s participation, and to improve their knowledge and skills in botanic art.
Key Functions and Activities
- Effectively communicate with botanical art students across a wide age group (young adult to mature age) in face-to-face and online classes to improve their skills in botanical art practices.
- To plan and present well rounded, interesting botanical art classes and workshops to students of various skill levels.
- Prepare class descriptions for each term.
- Encourage students to participate in Friends’ exhibitions and other projects.
- Attend and contribute to meetings with other Friends’ Botanical Art Tutors and Friends’ Management for programming innovative workshops and strategic planning.
- Develop workplace relationships by contributing collaboratively with other Botanical Art Tutors and Management.
- Exceptional botanical art painting skills and knowledge.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to effectively plan and implement class projects and weekly activities.
- Manage students who may be at different stages of class projects.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritise work.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
Key Personal Attributes
- Self-driven to achieve outcomes.
- Enthusiastic and positive.
- Excellent communicator.
- Always seeking to improve personal and professional skills.
- Collaborative / team player.
- Exceptionally competent botanical artist with experience exhibiting both nationally and international in ‘selected’ exhibitions. International experience not compulsory but is preferred. Submission of at least three artworks is required when applying for this position.
- Demonstrated experience teaching botanical art is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in adult education is preferred.
- Demonstrated excellent written and verbal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to organise projects and people.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task when working with a group of at least twelve people.
- To teach on a weekly basis, days to be agreed, for up to 4 x 8-week terms throughout the year.
- Workshops for in-depth teaching of a specific subject during term breaks, for 2-4-day duration.
- The contract is for one term at any one time.
- The contract may be terminated by each party providing the other with four-weeks’ notice.
- The contract maybe renewed by the Friends at the conclusion of each term, subject to the parties agreeing to the terms and formally signing the letter of appointment prior to the stipulated due date.
On acceptance of a role, applicants are required to provide:
- Proof of own Workcover arrangements
- Proof of own Public Liability insurance – or advise in writing that you take full responsibility and in the event of an accident occurring, you are prepared to accept full liability
- documents advising bank account and superannuation fund
- details of next of kin in case of emergency
- personal details such as home address, contact phone numbers and similar information.
- Registration of ABN.
- The agreed payment rate which will be discussed once an offer is made, will include both your hourly rate and SGC superannuation, currently 9.5%
- Payment of the hourly rate will be made directly into your nominated bank account at least monthly, on receipt of a compliant tax invoice
- Payment of superannuation component will be made monthly to your nominated superannuation fund. If registered for GST, the agreed rate will be paid plus GST.
Ideally, if applicants are not already members of the Friends of the Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne, they should take out membership on acceptance of a role.